Sunday, July 13, 2008

Nana


As I sit in this very cramped, small, dark room, I watch her breathe. The air is dry and quite cold in here. The faces all familiar. They come and go just as you get into that wonderful REM sleep to poke and prod you in all the wrong ways. The attitude while somber, still joyful in some folks. The phone just keeps ringing. The sound of rolling casters going up? Oh, no, down the hallways only to annoy the still quietness as I sit in this uncomfortable chair. I look over just to see one of the most precious faces God has ever created...My Nana! As she lay in her hospital bed~she sleeps, sometimes sighing~I am sure from the constant pain in her shoulder and leg from the fall that she took last week. As she wakes, we just talk about nothing sometimes, but about everything, if you know what I mean. She broke her hip and her shoulder on the left side causing her to have surgery this weekend. As I grow older, God lets me see a little more of how very special this woman really is. He created this woman who has given such love for all people, has taken care of many including me, while never thinking of herself in return. She is a mother/grandmother to the motherless, a sister, a friend. A woman I know that God is very proud of. A true VIRTUOUS woman. I thank God He let me be here this very night with her, to give her one night in return for many that she has given me. Afterall, she took care of me during chickenpox, flu viruses, food poisoning (boiled peanuts-Amanda YUCK!). As I soak it all in I am reminded of how precious life is and how I hope to give God, my family, my friends, my world at least half of what this woman has given in her eighty something years. I am convinced that when God made her, He made perfection and for any of you who know her, you'll agree.

God, thank you for choosing me to have this woman as my Nana! Thank you for the life that she has lead and for the many years you still have for her. She is truly an angel in human skin. Feel better Nana! There's still beans to pick and string next year!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I will pray for your Nana. They are very special aren't they.

Amanda L said...

We missed you on Tues. I hope your Nana is doing better. I know how hard that is.